Monday, June 29, 2009

My Favourite poem is the "A Dream Within A Dream" by Edgar Allan Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!

And, in parting from you now,

Thus much let me avow--

You are not wrong, who deem

That my days have been a dream;

Yet if hope has flown away

In a night, or in a day,

In a vision, or in none,

Is it therefore the less gone?

All that we see or seem

Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar

Of a surf-tormented shore,

And I hold within my hand

Grains of the golden sand--

How few! yet how they creep

Through my fingers to the deep,

While I weep--while I weep!

O God! can I not grasp

Them with a tighter clasp?

O God! can I not save

One from the pitiless wave?

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?

I like this poem because it illustrates how our life seems so dreamy and so faraway as days go by, how one could not hold the days in his hand for too long just like how a dream slips from your mind after you wake up. The absence of somebody has made the narrator's life meaningless, and thus one which numbs the emotions and gives this a dreamy feeling.

I think some of the figurative language used here wil be listed below.

Hyperbole: I am not sure about this but I think that by describing the shore as surf-tormented the narrator is exaggerating the damage dealt to the shore and maybe symbolising the damage on his heart.

Personification: The poet has given hope life, by letting it fly away. But this brings a darker prospect of life. Sand has also creeped past his hands, giving them a person's abilities.

Symbolism: The symbolism here is very obvious, with the dream symbolising the days which pass by in the absence of someone the narrator misses. In another way, it symbolises how time flies so quick and stealthily that not one can remember it flitting by.

Metaphor: NIL

Simile:NIL

Sorry, Mdm Lim that I could not finish this by the allotted time as I was rushing my history.


No comments:

Post a Comment